Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I am looking for an upper handle for a Koch Fridge model M-4, serial

• I am looking for an upper handle for a Koch Fridge model M-4, serial

Posted by guest on May 18, 2017 at 12:00 am

Looking for an upper door handle for Koch Fridge, model M-4 serial # 575802. The fridge is ancient it seems, and I can’t really find anything on this model…HELP!

fixbear replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • fixbear

May 18, 2017 at 11:10 am

First, if you register so we can ask questions and give you answers,  It would help.

Koch is a rare and old brand that was bought by Hobart. All of the Hobart refrigeration stuff was later moved to Trauwlsen when they bought them..  Unfortunately a lot of the data records no longer exist.  Have no fear, but in the years that they were made manufacturers bought door handles from mostly Kason.  They have made cooler latches sinse to 1800’s for the old wood door ice chest.   If you can send us a picture of the handle, the door standoff dimension,  and the type of mount I’m sure we can help you find a solution.  Also cast into the back of the handle there is often a model number of handle type. Ussually 2 to 4 numbers.

• partsgirl

September 10, 2018 at 12:35 pm

To be completely honest, your best bet is probably EBay or somewhere of that nature. I realize this post is ancient too but after some digging I found a few used on resale sites such as that.

• partsgirl

September 10, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Also. Koch was pretty good about putting replacement part numbers directly on the handle. Should be a format similar to 12-1234ABC

• fixbear

September 10, 2018 at 2:05 pm

As I recall from years ago, they used Kason 40 series latching handles.  Before the spring loaded hinges and good magnetic gaskets with bellows.

• partsgirl

September 10, 2018 at 2:16 pm

fixbear If I am right, the replacement handle was once 59-1105AKL

• fixbear

September 10, 2018 at 3:49 pm

I’m sorry, old memory.  It was the 533 series that I remember from the last Koch I worked on. We had a lot of Glenco’s in this area in the 50’s and 60’s.  Once in a while the original Howard.  All three were very well built reach in’s. I still know of a Howard up the road. And it still has a GE compressor.

• fixbear

September 10, 2018 at 4:10 pm

That would be a Kason 174 series with a standard offset  anvil.

• partsgirl

September 11, 2018 at 8:41 am

It’s likely that part was one of the earlier replacements for the discontinued one. Either way, it’s ancient ha! Even in the old old parts catalogs that have Koch parts, the handle isn’t listed..

• ectofix

September 11, 2018 at 10:30 am

Forgive me if I’m a little late, since I’m also a little confused about this conversation…

Just to be clear on what fixbear has said, KASON is the manufacturer/supplier of hardware for just about every commercial refrigeration equipment manufacturer out there.  When a equipment manufacturer (Traulsen, Beverage Air, Koch, etc.) designs their cooler/freezer, they’ll spec it to use Kason hinges, door latches, legs…and whatever.  However, equipment manufacturers will assign their OWN unique part numbers to those Kason parts, thus leading us (equipment owners, service technicians, parts vendors ) back to that manufacturer to seek replacements. 

So, although we may not be able to track down KOCH’s unique part number to obtain a replacement door handle, it’s EXTREMELY likely that KASON still makes/sells that door handle.  As fixbear ALSO alluded to, Kason puts their part numbers on the BACK-side of their parts.  Therefore, one simply needs to remove the door handle and look for that number on the back of it in order to identify a replacement handle.

FWIW: 

Here’s KASON’s list of on-line catalogs:

Kason Resources

Here’s the section needed for this situation:

Reach-In Hardware and Accessories

• fixbear

September 11, 2018 at 11:23 am

We had a lot of custom built back bars in this area. Most built out of wood with a metal lining over the insulation and 4 to 5 doors.  Often oak.  They all had one thing in common, Kason hardware.  Heck, even to original Alto-Sham used Kason.  And usually failures were from someone trying to defeat a lock and breaking the handle off. or anvil wear and loose adjustment fasteners.