Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Rational SCCWE202G Glass Pane Bundle 87.01.415

• Rational SCCWE202G Glass Pane Bundle 87.01.415

Posted by guest on September 23, 2018 at 12:00 am

I have a customer who has shattered their third inner most glass pane bundle on their Rational SCCWE202G this is the newer design with 2 inner removable tempered glass panels, it sits next to their 1 year older model which only has the single inner glass panel. Twice they have claimed the unit ran away and overheated causing the inner glass to shatter, but from all the literature I have read, the glass is rated to 1800 deg F, and would seem impossible for unit to ever approach this extreme, there is absolutely no deformity in any of the stainless interior, no discoloration whatsoever, which would be indicative of an  extreme overheat, nor has the high limit ever tripped. I personally believe they are impacting the inner glass panel causing it to shatter. I would like to know if anyone here has ever experienced repeated shattering of the newer Rational inner glass panels. 

fixbear replied 5 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 35 Replies
  • 35 Replies
  • fixbear

September 23, 2018 at 12:14 pm

If you have the time you can always piece it back together to determine if impact is the cause. But that can take hours. It will tell you where it started from.

Thermo shocking can also shatter it if some form of cooler liquid hits a small area causing a sudden shrinkage in a small area and high stress’s in the glass…It would take a quick change in glass temperature that is uneven to cause. Like a wet towel or jacket sleeve touching hot glass. Been there, Done that.  Like using a kitchen towel to check a pan and the corner get’s into the cooking liquid.  As you put the pan back and go to close the oven that wet corner hit’s the glass. POP.

Stress cracking is when one area of the glass changes temperature quicker than the rest or the mounting of the glass warps or tightens nu-equally. Or a twisting of the door with a aggressive chef closing it on a cart not all the way in or some foreign obstacle in the corner,  creating a temporary twist to the door. .

• fixbear

September 23, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Perhaps Ectofix may have a bit more insight on the glass mounting and stress prevention.

• ares

September 23, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Thanks, its really odd, brand new glass pane bundle installed 1 month ago, perfect alignment, unit is only 1 year old, receives moderate usage, breakage always seems to occur during odd hours, also seems like controller knob is constantly being knocked off which leads me to think theyre colliding with trolley. Wish I could get them to add camera coverage. 

• ectofix

September 23, 2018 at 5:55 pm

What do I think caused it?

Somebody forgot to remove the cart handle before they attempted to kick the door closed with their foot.

I doubt you’ll ever get ANY of the kitchen staff to admit that they did something to break the glass.  FEW people are THAT honest.  So, the only way you could ever know what happened is if it was caught on camera.

I can’t imagine moisture or temperature being a cause…unless they tried to cool down an extremely hot oven with the hand shower.  However, I think that glass is tough enough to handle even THAT (don’t tell anyone I said that).

Nonetheless, I’ve instructed our Chefs to only use the “cool down” mode and to NEVER blast water inside the oven or on the door when it’s at temperatures any higher than STEAM mode temperature.

I DO suggest taking a look at the condition of the mobile oven racks too – just as a matter of regular maintenance.  The corners down around the where it meets the pre-heat mechanism (the spring-loaded flap at the lower part of the door).  Those corners on the cart get bent, so you’ll need to watch for that and straighten the out so they’re flat again.

Will THAT cause the glass to break?  Very unlikely.

• ectofix

September 23, 2018 at 5:58 pm

ares wrote:

Thanks, its really odd, brand new glass pane bundle installed 1 month ago, perfect alignment, unit is only 1 year old, receives moderate usage, breakage always seems to occur during odd hours, also seems like controller knob is constantly being knocked off which leads me to think theyre colliding with trolley. Wish I could get them to add camera coverage. 

We are constantly replacing pulse generators for that.

CAMERAS?  I’ve begging for that for years!

• fixbear

September 23, 2018 at 8:21 pm

And I’m willing to bet it is the same operator that it breaks on. Let alone it’s at night when there is minimal supervision.

September 29, 2018 at 5:35 am

This is tempered glass and is subject to the same cautions, when using it. As ecto fix said you probably will never get anyone to admit they did it. I have a pretty good relationship with my cooks. They know that I won’t turn them in, if they do something stupid….once. But twice? 

When I went to their (Rational) class, one thing they mentioned was to NEVER use scrubby pads or steel wool, to clean any of the glass. They said that it creates micro scratches in the glass which weakens the temper and would cause the glass to fail. I have never seen this myself, but given they have to pay for it when under warranty, I’m sure they have studied this thoroughly. Probably not the case here but something to consider besides the usual hi-jinx that goes on in a kitchen.

• bush

October 1, 2018 at 5:55 pm

ARES, you may want to reach out to your local Rational service agent.  They will most likely be able to help you out with this situation.  Save all the stainless side rails for inspection.   Be sure to use a ‘shop-vac’ to remove all of the glass shards, as well as capturing any glass making it past the drain screen. If you have any doubt, after thoroughly cleaning the cabinet interior, trolley cart, and air baffle plate, hose down the interior, then open the quench box. You can shine a light in there to look for any shiny remnants of glass.  Better safe than sorry… if a glass nugget gets pushed thru the wash pump and lodges in the cleanjet exit tube you will certainly regret it!   Most likely you will have to replace the door and trolley gasket since they are prone to trapping those fine glass particles. 

• ares

October 23, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you all for your advice, had long conversations with Rational regarding glass and they pretty much reinforced what I thought and what you all said regarding glass. There are 2 of these SCC units located at Fenway Park, and it has been understandably hectic here last couple weeks. This is the latest gem I have encountered and would be curious if anyone else has ever found a broken product probe missiled through the clean jet pump? Honestly cannot make this stuff up.

• fixbear

October 23, 2018 at 6:24 pm

can honestly say no on that.  And by the housing damage it had a bit of power behind it.

Page 1 of 4