Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Radiance TAHP-48-4 burner

• Radiance TAHP-48-4 burner

Posted by guest on July 25, 2018 at 12:00 am

OK. So contacting manufacturer part provided is RCP1009. Concern being they were UNABLE to provide me with any dimensions. It’s a really old Radiance charbroiler and model may not be 100% correct.

I have the part number…. Can anyone find the dimensions of the burner for me?

partsgirl replied 5 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • ectofix

July 25, 2018 at 4:29 pm

The problem here is that the criteria for identifying burners burner is simply not standard practice when ordering OEM replacements.  Therefore, someone would need to go physically measure one in order to answer that question.  So…with all your good intentions to seek an answer for your customer, I don’t think you will be able to come up with an answer.

Nothing about that model sound right if they have a charbroiler.

The TAHP is a Turbo Air Hot Plate.  Here’s a link for that:

TAHP-48-8 

A TARB would be a Turbo Air Radiant Broiler, which is known in more common terms as a charbroiler.

TARB-48 

The -48 means it’s 48″ long.  The number after that is the quantity of burners.

• fixbear

July 25, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Just so you are aware, Turbo-air is a Chinese and Korean built copy of a lot of US equipment. And it can’t be that old, as they haven’t been around that long.

• partsgirl

July 26, 2018 at 10:11 am

Thanks ectofix!

That was actually my point. We had dimensions on hand for burner needed. Contacted manufacturer and without getting a model ( I actually offered multiple times) he provided RCP1009. Per that contact, this is the ONLY burner for those charbroilers and they all use that EXACT SAME burner… Doing a little research online I am pretty sure it’s the wrong length. RCP1009 is 22.6X1.6X1.4. His was in the 30 inch range….

• fixbear

July 26, 2018 at 11:17 am

That’s the top halve

• ectofix

July 26, 2018 at 5:47 pm

OOPS!

I meant to say:

“The problem here is that the criteria for identifying burners by dimensions is simply not a standard practice”.

My typing/editing skills need some…uh – EDITING.

And…I agree with fixbear.  Just about almost a dozen years ago, I’d called Turbo Air to ID a R/I cooler part.  Their only office was in California. 

The man told me they had NO parts stocked in the U.S and would have to contact the company in the far East.  BUT…he said he could go out to his warehouse, remove what I needed from another R/I cooler unit and ship it to me. 

Which he did.

Turbo Air confuses me entirely.  Their website’s product line says absolutely NOTHING about cooking equipment.  It’s all refrigeration.  YET…after I searched the model you gave partsgirl, I came up with what is essentially a 48″ counter-top stove.  After I played around with that model number…and viewing some DEALER’s websites, I came up with their 48″ charbroiler.

AGAIN,  cooking equipment doesn’t seem to have ANY prevalence on their website.  Just refrigeration shown there.

• fixbear

July 27, 2018 at 9:14 am

They have 3 divisions.  Turbo air original is coolers.  Turbo air HVAC with the colored logo.  And German Knife for their food service.  German knife is further broken down into 3 divisions (Chinese believe 3’s are good luck) ,  Radience, German knife, and Green World.  Other brands that have suddenly appeared are Texaking in  market display,   Turbo China and Premiere Korea are there refrigeration manufacturing sites.  Texaking is assembled in Texas. The rest are either imported or assembled in Long Beach.  Most all employees and service agents are Asian names.  And every time I had to deal with them, it was difficult.  Being hearing impaired,phone conversations with speakers of primary foreign languages is very difficult.   They first appeared in food magazines about 12 years ago.  In that 12 years they now have 12 sites in the US and a presents in 67 country’s. Obviously it would have taken 5 to 10 years to get to a point that they would start national advertising.

So to grow that fast with low sell prices,  means there has to be a lot of money behind them with a goal of taking over the market. Most customers seem to be satisfied with the equipment.  Until they break down. Getting part’s was always a problem.  And often not the correct one.  Even identifying a part was sometimes difficult to impossible. The first 16 pages of the master catalog is self promotion. Catalog can be found here;

http://www.turboairinc.com/media/meterials/2018%20MAIN_CATALOG-final.pdf

A small bit of history about why.  In the nineties the EPA became very powerful.  They made emission limits so difficult that it became impossible to do steel casting work in the US cost effectively. So all castings of burners and boilers went overseas. PA, NY, OH, MA, IL, IN,  MI, and MN got hit very hard.

All companies go threw growing pains. Fortunately Radience only makes 5 burners parts to cover all lines. It’s getting through the verbal problem that will be you major challenge.

• partsgirl

July 27, 2018 at 4:14 pm

fixbear That is why you rock! The one on the far left is what he brought in. (only extremely rusted) .

That is EXACTLY what they told me. Those “things” all use one part number *facepalm*

Do you happen to know the length of the burner of the far left?

If not, It will be in shop next week and I will update you guys  

• ectofix

July 29, 2018 at 6:15 pm

This discussion about Turbo Air brings up a side story.  Whenever I think “Turbo Air”, I think of this.  Nothing against them, though.  I actually think they’re built quite well:

In 2006, a Hurricane Katrina refugee named John opened a new restaurant in Nashville on Church Street. Circumstances led to ME becoming his go-to refrigeration technician during his first few years there.  I worked on his walk-ins, his archaic Ice-o-Matic ice machine he’d procured at an auction…and several coolers within his fleet of Turbo Air reach-ins. 

A major repair on one of those Turbo Air units severed our relationship.  The bill was over $1000.  He retorted by claiming that he could buy another one for not much more than that (At the time, I didn’t know how cheap they were when compared to others). 

To my knowledge, he never paid that bill.

Anyway…years later I’d learned that his restaurant was featured in an episode on “Kitchen Nightmares”.  I also found out that just a few months later, his restaurant had been closed up, so he and his family left town and moved back to NOLA.   Our local news stated he was shut down by the state for not paying taxes and had stiffed his employees by not paying them their final wages.

Here’s that episode on YouTube:

Kitchen Nightmares: Chappy’s

If you happen to watch that video, note Mr. Chapman’s demeanor.  Note what his employees said about him yelling at customers.  That’s not made up.  I witnessed him doing EXACTLY THAT while I was there working on that old ice machine.  I was quite taken aback by what I’d witnessed.

As far as I know, John and his wife have open/closed several locations in/around NOLA since leaving Nashville and are still in business at his newest location.

• fixbear

July 29, 2018 at 8:35 pm

You mean to tell me I’m not the only one to have those.  It got where I had to get a deposit for the repair before ordering parts on some bigger ones.  Over the years I had to write off $23,000 of unpaid.  Love the one that the Ac went down.  New 3 ton unit in one dining room.  Went back to collect and the owner chef is missing.  Found a sweetheart  on line.  his wife was working down in the city (3 hours away) to support the restraint and there kids.  His sister (a silent partner and money part) met me at the door and said she knew nothing and would check.  Then hired a different company to repair the ice machine the same night. I serviced that restaurant through 4 owners.

• partsgirl

July 30, 2018 at 10:28 am

Yeah Katrina killed us on the Gulf Coast but doesn’t give anyone reason to act in such fashion.

FWIW. All I was getting at was that the vendor was “unable” to provide me any dimensions. The model provided above is likely not even correct for his unit due to the age.

Page 1 of 2