Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Hi,my name is Dan, I would like to know what type of lube is used in a Hobart Buffalo chopper under the turn table..

• Hi,my name is Dan, I would like to know what type of lube is used in a Hobart Buffalo chopper under the turn table..

Posted by guest on May 1, 2018 at 12:00 am

We bought one at a sale, didn’t work the bowl, tore it apart nand found it needed a belt, after tearing it apart and cleaning it all up before putting it back together don’t really know what type of grease to put back in, it was all very sticky and very old. Can I get some help please, thanks…

bustedknuckles replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ectofix

May 1, 2018 at 7:46 pm

I’m not a Hobart tech.  Only Hobart techs have the “inside” info on their equipment.  Their technical info is very proprietary.  While part numbers for parts are easily found, they never divulge a part number in their manuals for the lubricants used in their equipment.

Buffalo choppers have been around a long time.  There are numerous model numbers they’ve used through the years.  You didn’t provide a model number, so this just a shot in the dark.

The only lubrication necessary the oil in the bowl drive gear case.  An old operators manual I have says to use Gearep 140 (no part number).  It’s an oil.  Not a grease.  You check the oil level with a make-shift dipstick.  That’s on page 4 in the link below:

https://resources.itwfeg.com/sites/resourcecenter/ProductDocumentation/F13628.pdf#search=84185 

I tried to find Gearep 140 through an internet search.  No luck.

Proper lubrication is a big world and a complicated topic.  If a manufacturer says to use THIS particular stuff, then I’m not one to go substituting for what they say.  The best place to find out how to get it is to contact the manufacturer.

I suggest you contact Hobart.  Provide them with a model #, ML # and serial # when you call.  Check the link below:

Contact Us | Hobart 

May 2, 2018 at 5:28 am

You can call your local Hobart parts dept. and ask them for a part number. They will ether give you a number or tell you what type of lube to use.  

• bustedknuckles

May 3, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Mobil Spartan EP 460. It takes 7oz. This part number is for a 16oz can. Part# 00-102973-73