Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Groen SSB-10GF Error code

• Groen SSB-10GF Error code

Posted by guest on December 21, 2017 at 12:00 am

Anyone know what an error code 8 or 4 means in the display (was showing a 4 on my day off when they called and an 8 when i got back to work the next day)?User guide is no help.  20 minutes on hold for tech support before i gave that up.  Was steaming, fan was running, drain flowing well, just had an 8 in the display.  I drained the steamer and cycled power.  It’s been fine for 2 days now.  Just curios if there is a service manual out there.

Groen SmartSteam

Model SSB-10GF

S/N J 962009-1-T

fixbear replied 6 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • miltonsappliance

December 21, 2017 at 8:02 pm

this unit sucks not sure the codes if it is a groen steamer run make sure the right side inside the pressure switch side is not cracked look in the cavity inside with flashlight for light look for insulation wet on pressure switch side if so run  I had a nightmare in lee roys selmons Brandon now glory days same people work there fixed elements burned out a relay a contactor replaced thermo discs the obvious was replaced  these are junk

• moldypickle

December 22, 2017 at 5:23 am

Ok…  This is gas, boilerless steamer.  about 8 months old

• fixbear

December 22, 2017 at 7:16 am

The manual does not show any 4 or 8 codes.  Definitely a odd one.  But Groen does say with any unusual situation to turn the machine off and momentarily disconnect the power to reset the computer.

They are doing a webinar next month on that unit.  This time of year a large portion of staff tend to be off and call waiting times do get excessive.  For more info go to http://www.unifiedbrands.net/service-support/ 

You can also submit a tech request on line to avoid phone waiting by going to  http://www.unifiedbrands.net/technical-contact-form-groen/

• ectofix

December 22, 2017 at 11:40 am

I found this old file on my computer.  It has the error codes on page 23:

Smartsteam_100_Service_Manual_147423F

That manual is a bit dated (2007), so some things might have changed.

I haven’t looked at one in about seven years, so I’m a little out of practice.  In my current position, I’ll probably never see another one.

Without sticking my head too far in to the manual, based upon what those error codes mean, I’d take a guess that the upper float switch might be sticking occasionally.  I DO remember that those plastic float switches were problematic.

• fixbear

December 22, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Slow draining,  Slow filling.  That would make sense.

ectofix wrote:

I found this old file on my computer. 

Thank you for being a manual pack-rat like me.  I tried to find that one and found zilch.

• ectofix

December 22, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Manual pack-rat?  LOL!

You just made me think…

About exactly a year ago TODAY, my life was in an upheaval for being forced to move out of a long time rental…and did NOT yet know where I would be living in the next month.  Therefore I pitched a BUNCH of stuff to the curb to lighten the load.

LOTSA old Navy technical training manuals, Marine Corps PMEs, my old college books, etc. – and six big boxes crammed full of old hardcopy equipment manuals…ALL went away.

I don’t really miss it.  The rental, nor the junk I pitched.

• fixbear

December 22, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Had a room full, a garage full of totes,  and a wall bookshelf full plus stacks.  My wife decided that they had to go. I do miss a few of the manuals, but say salah salah.  Some of those manuals cost me over 300. Let alone the blood sweat and tears put into the jobs they were bought or procured for.  But it’s over the bridge now.  They included almost all rating manuals for Navy, both construction and surface.  Many specific army manuals for certain equipment (and they are very complete) .  The one thing I miss the most was a catalog from URI 2003. The most complete refrigeration engineering catalog ever printed.  Every thing that  one needed to know in one place.