Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Beverage Air KR48-1AS two door reach in, low suction pressure.

• Beverage Air KR48-1AS two door reach in, low suction pressure.

Posted by guest on November 17, 2015 at 12:00 am

First tech who looked at it put a tap valve on low side and told me it was about 8 in a vacuum.  He added r134a until he had about 4 lbs backpressure.  It kinda worked, but not right..cold control shut it off to quick, and it would start again to soon.  I know how finicky the charge can be on these things, so I evacuated unit, recharged with r134a 12.7 ounces per nameplate spec, leak checked evaporator, and started unit..still in a vacuum, although only about 2 inches into it  I suspect plugged cap tube, but this cap tube is unusual…it seems to be in two pieces…a smaller size cap tube from the filter drier about 2 to 3 foot in length, brazed to a slightly larger size cap tube right before it disappears in to box.  Is this smaller cap tube a separate item from the whole cap tube assembly, and can it be ordered by itself?..in the parts lists I have looked at, i see only one size id and length for this box.  The brazing of one cap tube to another is the first time I’ve seen this.  Anyone else ever run into a problem like this?

fsm replied 8 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • fsm

November 17, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Doesn’t sound like it’s OEM… do you have pics? What is your head pressure? Sounds like when going from the smaller size to the larger size, expansion is occurring at this connection instead of in the evap coil as it should and could be causing a restriction. When you have a cap tube system, low suction indicates either a low charge or a restriction as you indicated.

• alnelson

November 18, 2015 at 7:22 am

Turbo Air likes to use two cap tubes coupled together.

I would contact Beverage Air with the model and serial number and they will tell you what size and length of cap tube you need.

• tommiwv

November 18, 2015 at 9:23 am

Called Bev Air…the tech I talked to said this is being built in Korea, and the two part cap tube is normal…the old part number, 203-110A is when they used to build it themselves.  They have no part number for this cap tube system, but told me the larger cap tube, which enters the box and goes to the evaporator, is 052 id and 118 inches in length…the smaller cap tube they have no idea.  I have to cut it out and try to find everything locally.  Wow!

Thanks for the help guys, and wish me luck.

• fsm

November 18, 2015 at 10:12 am

Learn something new every day!

• alnelson

November 18, 2015 at 7:50 pm

The Turbo-Air’s are made in Korea and use two cap tubes. Sounds like you’ve got a rebranded turbo air.

• fixbear

November 19, 2015 at 3:31 pm

You also might consider that it may have picked up moisture from the low side vacuum and line valve. This will cause a freeze up at the change of cap tubes that will act like a blockage.