Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives What would cause an Amana RC17S2 microwave to keep sparking everytime it runs?

• What would cause an Amana RC17S2 microwave to keep sparking everytime it runs?

Posted by guest on January 19, 2017 at 12:00 am

we have installed a couple new parts in this microwave and it runs now but every time its turned on sparks fly out of the bottom.

miltonsappliance replied 7 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • olivero

January 19, 2017 at 11:18 am

What?

Let me get this right, you installed a couple of new parts and now it sparks when it runs… Did it to that before?

I would not be using that, the amount of juice those caps & magnetrons can produce is lethal in the least, If its sparking, I would shut it down and find out what’s going on. Which brings me to my first question.

Did it do that before? Maybe you knocked something loose while replacing parts and now a connection is shorting once the amp draw comes through, either way sounds like either the user will get hurt, or the machine.

• techjoeb

January 19, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Is there any exposed metal inside? Is it a short? I strongly recommend getting a technician to look at it if it is beyond your scope. Olivero is right and it may be lethal in some cases. Please don’t use it if it is sparking until it is properly diagnosed and repaired. Good luck! 

-Joe

• fixbear

January 19, 2017 at 3:40 pm

What parts did you replace and are they OEM or aftermarket? And where is it sparking, Control panel, inside the chamber or near the transformer Magnetron. If it is not blowing the fuse it has to be beyond the transformer.. More than likely the magnetron or wires feeding it.

• fixbear

January 20, 2017 at 7:58 am

Awww, I should have know. Question by a guest that doesn’t know how to read. Too bad he won’t get to see this because he didn’t log in..

• olivero

January 20, 2017 at 8:50 am

What a shame….. OR the microwave got the best of him.

I love that statement

“we have installed a couple new parts in this microwave and it runs now but every time its turned on sparks fly out of the bottom.”

Scares the bajeesus out of me when people do stuff like that and it gets worse, I have fixed microwaves but I am so careful with them its ridiculous.

All joking aside though, I really hope the person is looking at these answers and not microwaving away, dangerous stuff those things.

• john

January 20, 2017 at 9:04 am

Have faith, fixbear, they may yet join up.

• fixbear

January 20, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Anyone that has ever worked on a microwave Should have as much knowledge of them before starting and have a method of leakage testing. I would bet that most of us that have had a few surprises and sparks. Just love finding a out of time door safety switch on some.Been through my share of ceramic fuses.

• olivero

January 20, 2017 at 4:52 pm

OR that great moment you accidentally cross the 2 leads for your meter and short the whole thing

Did that in a turbo chef, that was a $350.00 board right there, fraction of a second, all it took.

Microwaves is one of the few machines that seem so harmless but once you know the tech they use and how much juice they have, you learn to respect them.

• ectofix

January 20, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Don’t know what “bottom”  our GUEST is saying the sparks flew out of.  Was it from the INSIDE the cooking compartment…or from underneath.

If from inside, It may be caused by damage from carbon tracking (due to grease) underneath the ceramic floor or some misplaced door/cooking compartement hardware. 

Carbon tracking can be addressed by removing the floor and cleaning/polished it out…if the damage is light. Although the inside is stainless steel (not a ferrous metal, so is okay), improperly placed or unguarded fasteners protruding into and exposed into the cooking compartment may be equal to or a multiple of the wavelength of the antennas’ (magnetrons’ [plural]) output.  The sparks would be the result if screw heads or hardware DOES equal that distance. Ovens are specifically made so that this doesn’t happen.  Repair techs need to realize this when they make repairs.

If the SAID sparks were from underneath – WELL…on the RC17, the only electrical component that I can recollect being under there is a stirrer motor.  Otherwise – if it was an old M2000, then THAT’S where the HV components are at.  I’d then point a finger at possible faulty HV wiring, shorted HV diode or shorted cap.

Either of those ovens is a beast.  Three magnetrons.  They’ll both will reheat a cup of coffee in 30 seconds.  My home unit takes up to 2 minutes.

In any case, a potential for a 4000v shock isn’t something to be taken lightly…since it could be deadly.  So YES – call a qualified tech.

• fixbear

January 21, 2017 at 8:22 am

ectofix; this machine is double magnetron. one top and one bottom. but there is a false bottom to prevent sparks to the exterior. Puzzling. .Rotating Double aerial  is only thing on the bottom with timing marks. Cap’s and transformer are in the back and that compartment vents out the back both top and bottom. High voltage comes from back through a bulkhead hole on the right side. Perhaps the big blower that they use blew around a disintegrating magnetron.. They do make pertty white sparks.

Once worked on a Hobart that only had a 2 inch by 10 inch chamber and was 10,000 watts, 200 lbs. 3 ft wide and 15 inches high.. self destruct machine. Expensive, ($per watt) and uncontrollable. Down more than up. Longest cycle was 10 seconds.

Page 1 of 2