Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives American Range wall oven AROFG-30 broiler doesn’t ignite.

• American Range wall oven AROFG-30 broiler doesn’t ignite.

Posted by guest on December 8, 2018 at 12:00 am

Power is on (lights, fan & oven control works).

Gas is on (oven heats just fine)

Assuming it is the broiler igniter – but do I have to access the back of the oven to test?

Thanks in advance!

partsgirl replied 5 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • fixbear

December 9, 2018 at 9:00 am

You won’t find to many tech’s to have experience with that oven on this forum as it is more a domestic design.  However, look in the top of the oven at the broiler igniter and see if the wires go to a removable plate. The leads are not that long, 10 inches, So the  connection has to be close.  Let alone that they come with insulated spade terminals attached.  Be advised to be carefull of the seal and insulation.

Also be aware that the safety valves on this oven only open when there is a correct current flow through the igniter. You can actually have a working igniter that the valve does not open from aging of the igniter.  Also because the valve has a bi-metal operator that has to be heated with the current, it can does take a bit of time to light. There is no flame proofing system.  Totally scary for us that work on gas controlled burners.

• vnorris

December 9, 2018 at 9:58 am

Fixbear,

thank you so much for your quick response and your willingness to help. I have

unscrewed the igniter from the mounting plate and it appears the wires lead to

the back of the oven; I can see no connection point nor a removable plate

(don’t I wish there were!).  the additional information you provided about the

bi-metal operator is helpful.

This oven has been in use for only 3 years (and only 6 months out of the year)

so I am surprised it is failing so quickly. However, when we are here I use it

almost every day.

Thanks again!

Verna

• fixbear

December 9, 2018 at 11:03 am

In that case, you’ll have to slide it out of the wall.  Make sure you have a stout surface to slide it on the same height as the bottom of the oven. Turn off the gass first, as you have no knowledge of the flex tube supply line condition.  There has to be a hole big enough for the connectors to feed thru and be resealed. I may be a screwed on channel from the igniter to the rear wall.  The only thing I find on this oven is a brief parts book.

parts book

Your igniter; https://www.partstown.com/american_range/amrr10012

• eritech1

December 9, 2018 at 11:19 am

If u have ceramic wire nuts , u can cut ur leads and test that way. U should have 120v by igniter.

is ur igniter glowing at all? 

You could also try to look at ur igniter and see if there is any cracks in the ceramic( in the part that glows) Or white buildup in one spot.

• fixbear

December 9, 2018 at 4:41 pm

I highly do not recommend doing that on a domestic oven. Those leads are special and designed for 450F.  The slightest resistance difference with this type of gas valve will make it not light.  I’ve seen units that the silicon carbide igniter glows, but will not light just because the igniter os old and oxidized.  Even house voltage below 115V will cause a delay or no start.

• partsgirl

December 11, 2018 at 9:03 am

Give this a go!

Manual Page 19