Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives scotsman ice maker code 8

• scotsman ice maker code 8

Posted by guest on February 26, 2019 at 12:00 am

I keep getting the code 8 I have done all what I seen from here. Clean the water flow, clean the thickness probe. But still gives me the code 8. Should I change out the thickness probe

fixbear replied 1 year, 5 months ago 7 Members · 37 Replies
  • 37 Replies
  • fixbear

February 26, 2019 at 11:47 am

You didn’t state what machine you have, so I’m assuming that it is a cuber and you know that the code comes back to ice thickness or long harvest.

The ice thickness probe can be monitored on the controller LED for continuity.  It is common for it to get false readings if the spray bar in not clean or you have a water filtration problem and high minerals.  Also if any cleaning solution is left on it. The cleaner is a acid (phosphoric) and is very conductive.  When cleaning the machine I always remove the sensor, scrub with a tooth brush, then rinse with a small amount of baking soda before drying and reinstall.  Many guys will just change it out, but routing the wire is a bit difficult and more time consuming.  Let alone the cost.  But if it has a hairline crack, replacement will be necessary. 

Pay especial attention to the spray bar and flow over the plate. It has to be even and slow. Often if someone has replaced the pump with a non OEM the capacity will be incorrect and make to aggressive a flow that will bother the sensor.  Plugged holes or mineral buildup on the flow plate can also cause a problem. 

Give me a model number so that I know what you are working on.

• boodro

February 26, 2019 at 6:36 pm

CO330SA-1A. This is what started all my problems. My machine was going

down on Max Harvest. After many looking around then calling Scotsman

help desk. He tells me to hit the Manual Harvest button. To see if the

lil rod comes out to push the ice. Well it didn’t then looking at the

solenoid the plastic it was broken inhalf and rusted stuck. So I changed

it. But while waiting on the Harvest Assist to show up. I gave it a full

blown cleaning. Well I got my part in changed it an down hill it went.

Putting it back into service it would keep going down on Short Freeze

Code 8. The thickness probe looks in good shape. But keeps going down on

the Code 8. So I ordered a new ICE THICKNESS PROBE to try. Then if it

goes down again on this code all I know I will have to call a Tech to

SERVICE it for me.

• fixbear

February 26, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Ok.  This is the service manual for it.  Make sure to read the section on how it works. Also how to adjust the harvest sensor..

https://www.partstown.com/scotsman/c0330sa-1/manual/sc-c0322-sm?page=22

They are the easiest of any ice machine to troubleshot due to the LED set-up.  One just has to watch them for a cycle or two.

Cleaning on them is a critical thing that small details mater. The service manual will give you a time period for the sensor to not be constant and to have a normal cycle for the freeze lockout. Make sure to read pg 42 on the sensor and spillway.  Also make sure that the wire to the sensor is clean and dry.  It can also conduct and fool the controller.

I shouldn’t neglect to also tell you the water level sensors also require detailed cleaning to prevent problems.  You can find that in the manual as well. 

I almost forgot,  You can use a ohmmeter to test the sensor.  j10 is the sensor wire and must be open when off.  Page 53 in the manual.

• boodro

February 26, 2019 at 9:44 pm

I did all of this an keeps shutting down on Short Freeze

• fixbear

February 27, 2019 at 5:48 am

You will notice that when the machine goes into freeze cycle,  and it has done the flush and continuity test it will pause the pump for 30 seconds.  after that watch the harvest ready light.  As water hits it it should flash a little and as the ice forms on the bridge the flashes will get longer.  Once the LED stays on for 5 seconds solid it tells the machine to harvest.  If it is happening too quickly you get the alarm.  This means that the sensor is tricking a harvest under 6 min 3 times. 

Some times environmental placement of the machine will cause problems.  Things like level,  Humidity, airborne grease and cleaners, water temp and quality, Ambient air temp.  .  But the big one that bothers the sensor is strong acids or alkalis,. Wether it is on the insulator or wire of the sensor doen’t matter, as any conductivity will trip the machine.  We have to use both to clean and sanitize,  but it is recommended to use the cleaner at 1/2 strength on the sensor.  Rinse and dry completely.  Scotsman has even issued a recommendation to blow dry with compressed air because the sensor is so sensitive to moisture in the wrong place.. They have also redesigned it a few times. 

Frequently techs miss the spillway problem.  It is the biggest cause of short freeze sensing.  The spray bar and sensor have to be removed to clean the spillway.  One also has the break down the spray-bar to clean it inside.  There is also a service bulletin out on the spray-bar mount.  Mount sagging as I recall.  I’ll see if I can find it for you.

The Prodigy’s are a good machine and easy to trouble shoot,  But require attention to detail when working on them.  And can be very frustrating.  Especially with bad water. The CO’s are a far cry from the old CM’s or CME’s. that were loved for the contour cube they made.

• fixbear

February 27, 2019 at 5:53 am
  • boodro

February 27, 2019 at 4:00 pm

ok now it did a harvest, but the first alarm came back. MAX HARVEST code

Flashing 2. I installed the new Harvest silenoid was not sure if I

needed to install the lift bracket it came with or flat against the wall

with out the lift bracket.

• Sanchezhvac

December 29, 2020 at 9:16 am

What was causing the alarm? I’m having the same problem.

• fixbear

February 27, 2019 at 6:59 pm

The shaft that pushes the ice off should be flush to the evaporator.  Not protruding.  How thick was the ice bridge?    This may help;

• klamath

February 28, 2019 at 10:53 am

Clean the temperature sensor, adjust the gross ice (ticker). And turn on. If appear code 2. Turn off and turn on again for 3 times.

You helps the ice to fall.

• fixbear

December 29, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Sanchezhvac, Which of the codes are you referring to? 2 or 8. Always start by cleaning the machine with Scotsman cleaner. Most codes will go away after cleaning

With code 2, it means that the harvest was longer than 3.5 min. Flashing means it’s retrying, solid is locked out and shut down. The ice sheet has a 1/8 to 3/16 bridge so that it comes off as one piece and opens the curtain. On the right side is a magnetic reed switch that tells the controller it opened. It is also indicated with a LED (curtain) on the board. This is most often from not cleaning the machine with Scotsman cleaner. But can also be from harvest assist or hot gas valve.

Code 8 is short freeze time of less than 6 min. This is caused by the thickness sensor shorting to early. Usually mineral build up or spray bar flow. The ready to harvest LED indicates this sensor. So it’s easy to watch if it is conducting current. It is normal to see it flash in the beginning of the freeze cycle. But it sends the machine into a time freeze after it sees a solid sense for 30 seconds.

Some things change with the “D” model. As well as whether it is air cooled, water cooled or remote condenser. So it’s important that we know your full model number. All this is in the service manual above. To work on a ice machine , you have to understand how it works and what does what. Otherwise you’ll chase your tail around and replace unneeded parts. A good part of ice machine repair is watching what it does and understanding when it should do what. Highly recommend reading the service manual.

• fixbear

December 29, 2020 at 2:46 pm

I should also mention that if the compressor discharge temp is to low, the controller will shut the fan off on air cooled models before entering harvest cycle. This is to ensure there is adequate heat for the hot gas harvest. The thermistor can be tested with a ohm meter for this.

Page 1 of 4